One evening last week Michael was stacking hay and I had driven the Can-Am up to the irrigation ditch to see if we had water. Driving back down to the hay yard the Can-Am felt as if it had a flat tire then I lost all steering—nothing, steering wheel turned but wheels didn’t. Sure am glad I was on mostly flat ground and not doing 40mph on a road or coming down off some of those steep, rocky hillsides in Moab!
The cowboy/mechanic tore apart the Can-Am finding a bad coupling and then the trouble started. No parts—no where, none! Our Can-Am has only 2000 miles on the odometer. After searching the internet for the part we ended up contacting BRP (Bombardier Recreational Products) via email. In less than 15 minutes we had a reply. Seems there is a safety recall for this very issue—loss of steering. New parts are being manufactured and will not be available until around the first of July. Repairs will be covered by BRP and we have a slot at the local dealer in Bozeman once the parts arrive. We had never thought to contact BRP and change ownership so as to receive recall notices.
OK—we have plans which involve ATV riding with other people—Larry and Geri plus some Canadian friends. We’ve been talking about buying a smaller ATV—our Can-Am is 58 inches wide. Many states are designating ATV trails be only 50 inches wide—we wouldn’t fit in the Can-Am. So—we didn’t really want to get down to the wire and find out the parts wouldn’t be available by July 1. Friday we went to Billings and purchased a 50 inch Polaris 900 Trail RZR. We may or may not sell the Can-Am once its repaired—we will see.
Saturday we spent the day in Big Timber at the Fest and parade. Sunday morning we headed up to Mocassin Lake to try out the new toy—not as roomy as the Can-Am—no place for Emmi to sit other than in our laps but otherwise—we like it! Michael spent the day installing wiring for the GPS and a box in the rear to hold all our “stuff.” We’ve ordered an after market roof and windshield—should be here by Friday we hope!
Sunday night we enjoyed dinner with Lonn and the kids—photos on the next blog.
Chuck is improving slightly every day back in Arkansas—still in the hospital but doing better.